Thank you all so much for praying for Anna and loving on us this week. Here is her story:
Monday night around 10:30, she threw up in her crib. Of course, we thought the worst but she went back to sleep after being up with us a couple of hours and was fine all day Tuesday. (We did take her to see Dr. Lytle to have the "rock" in her hand checked out on Tues - he said synovial cyst that will go away in 3-6 months...whew!) We had just chalked that one up to something she ate not agreeing with her. Tuesday, she did not eat like her normal self, but is teething so we thought it was OK. I mean, she was eating and taking formula - just not her normal huge amounts! Moving on to Wednesday night, she threw up again in her highchair at dinner. I gave her ice chips and at bedtime, she took her normal bottle of formula and went to bed like normal. She slept until 4:00 am and woke up for her bottle. That one stayed down too - only for an hour though. She was sick again and dry heaving. She laid back down with me and slept until 8:00 when we got up to call the doctor about the vomiting. This time, when she woke up, she was VERY lethargic - like a rag doll. The first appointment we could get was 11:30. After loving on her for a while, I sat her on the floor with her favorite toy to see if she would perk up and she literally just slumped over on her legs - bending straight forward. Ugh...talk about breaking your heart! We called the Greens to come get Molly Kate and immediately took her to the doctor.
The folks at Pediatrics East saw her and sent us straight back to Dr. Lytle. He was very concerned and did some blood work to find her sugar very low. We stayed there about two hours giving her Pedialyte and trying to get her numbers up and put some life into her. Nothing seemed to really work - she was still asleep - so he sent us to Children's for IV fluids. Nana met us when we arrived a little before 1:00 and even with a bag of fluids, Anna still did not move and was asleep on my chest. All of the doctors were really stumped as to why she had vomited so little, never had diarrhea and was not responding at all to the fluids and Pedialyte so an ultrasound of her abdomen was ordered. That was tons of fun holding her down with her screaming while they took at least 800 pictures. Of course, they said nothing the whole time and we were thinking the worst! Back in the ER we learn that everything in her abdomen was normal and they had been looking for an obstruction in her bowels. Back to square one with Pedialyte and waiting for her to perk up. They stuck her a few times to check her sugar and it had not risen very much so we stayed more. We really thought they were going to admit her when she started puffing up. She was now retaining fluids (ironically enough) and chest x-rays were ordered to see if fluid was in her heart and lungs. She was so puffed up that the ID bracelet on her ankle that once had moved around her leg, had to be cut off and her toes looked like they could pop off her feet! Her face was also swollen and looked so sad. Still though, she slept and when she did wake for brief moments, she cried. The x-rays were normal so they kept us a little longer but we could back off the Pedialyte. They kept testing her sugar and when they finally liked the number, let us go home at 11:00 with orders to go see Dr. Lytle on Friday for a follow up. We all showered when we got home (Anna was thrilled!) to get all of the ER yuck off - ugh!
We did get to see Dr. Lytle at 11:30 yesterday and went in with a more lively baby this time - whew! He said she looked great - keep her on Pedialyte and bland foods for another day. She played and we were thinking life was good.
On our way home, the school called me to come get Molly Kate - she was throwing up! Here we go again...since that incident at lunch yesterday, she was been playing and acting normal. I just knew that this morning would be different, but so far so good. (I do realize that it was 48 hrs before Anna was sick again though- keep praying!) Eric on the other hand, has come down with it full throttle and is the sickest I have ever seen him! I went to the 24hr CVS last night to get him some goodies so maybe he will be better in 24-36 hours per his doctor.
Let's just say that we have had a week and I still covet your prayers for my little family. I know sooooo many people are dealing with this same bug and I am thinking of you all too! I would never wish anyone to have to go thru that ER experience and see their baby as lifeless as I saw Anna. It truly breaks my heart just to think of it all. The only things that made me strong was remembering that, as my grandmother told me on our way to the ER, "Our God is still on His throne" and all of my great friends and family who have been praying for us and loving on us. Whether or not you showed up at the ER, called, posted to Facebook, or emailed us, we felt all of the hugs and love and are so grateful. Above all, I am thankful for a shepherd who cares for even the tiniest of lambs, like my little Anna. We seem to think they may just be His favorites:)
I am sure they may never read this, but I would also like to thank everyone at Pediatrics East who made us feel like family and were genuinely concerned for our baby as well as the doctors and nurses at the ER - they went over and above for us too. I cannot imagine doing what they do for a living, but I know that God has a special place for them all in heaven!
I am signing off for now to go play nurse, but wanted to tell you what I know you must be wondering...no, I am not here by myself handling all of this. My mom, Nana, is here and I couldn't be more grateful! She seems to always be here when I need her most - not needing to be asked for help, but knowing and coming even if it means putting herself in the midst of the fire. Isn't that what being a mom is all about - unconditional love!
2 comments:
Nurse Amy- that has a nice ring to it :)
Girl I was praying little Anna when Kelly Hall told me, now we will pray for the devil and that BUG to get out of your house. let me know if I can do anything. I will wear gloves and mask ;)
now Anna has gotten the big D as Eric calls it - and I thought she was done...ugh!
Post a Comment